Apartment fire caused by sparking cell phone charger

August 13, 2018 | 3:45 pm

Updated August 13, 2018 | 3:45 pm

A 911 call to dispatch was made today, right after 12:30 p.m., regarding smoke coming from an apartment building at 1611 West 9th Street. The fire was active on the second floor of the apartment building as units arrived on the scene.

Owensboro Fire Department, Owensboro Police Department and Yellow EMS worked simultaneously to evacuate the building and to extinguish the fire. One apartment was damaged by the fire, while the apartment below was slightly damaged by water.

According to the OFD’s Chief Mitchell, the cause of the fire was due to a cell phone charger sparking. Although nobody was injured, Chief Mitchell wants to make sure that Owensboro residents are always careful when plugging or unplugging chargers from outlets. He also added that residents should make sure their chargers are in good repair with no bare wires showing.

“That wasn’t the case with this charger, but you still need to be real careful,” said Chief Mitchell.

Two residents were displaced as a result of the fire. E1, E2, E3, R1, L1, F95, F97, F98, and F99 were all on the scene.

August 13, 2018 | 3:45 pm

Share this Article

Other articles you may like

Discussion about this article