The Bluegrass Music Hall of Fame and Museum has received a $2,000 grant to help fund their Bluegrass in the Schools program, which will be virtual this year.
The grant was awarded by the International Bluegrass Music Association (IBMA) Foundation.
“We are very excited to use this to enhance our Bluegrass in the Schools program,” said Deb Fillman, Director of Development at the Hall of Fame. “Bluegrass in the Schools, for the Bluegrass Music Hall of Fame & Museum, is a foundational program towards the preservation of bluegrass music. Students are taught about the traditional instruments of bluegrass music and the cultural heritage and history of the music genre.”
The Hall of Fame for many years has hosted a series of educational bluegrass presentations in January and February for more than 9,000 students at schools in Daviess County. Due to COVID-19, the Hall of Fame is creating a virtual version of the program.
The IBMA Foundation awarded a total of $14,000 in project grants for bluegrass programs in eight states plus wider virtual audiences.
The Foundation supports programs and initiatives fostering the growth of bluegrass music. It connects resources to projects that focus on bluegrass music-related arts and culture, education, literary work, and historic preservation.
The full list of Foundation grant recipients for 2021 is as follows:
- The Archbold Music Commission; Industrial Strength Bluegrass: An Evening with Joe Mullins & the Radio Ramblers – Archbold, OH
- Birthplace of Country Music Museum, “Pick Along! Summer Camps” – Bristol, VA/TN
- Bluegrass Music Hall of Fame and Museum, Virtual Bluegrass in the Schools & Assembly – Owensboro, KY and virtual
- Ferrum College, Appalachian Instrument Library – Ferrum, VA
- Georgia Elementary and Middle School, Bluegrass Intensive Middle School Unit – Georgia, VT
- Minnesota Bluegrass & Old-Time Music Association, Grass Seeds at Fall Jam and Winter Weekend – Minneapolis, MN
- Queen Bee Music Association, Queen Bee’s Kids Bluegrass Camp – Santa Fe, NM
- Wintergrass Music Festival, Pocketgrass Youth Academy Club with Mr. Joe and the Youth Orchestra – Bellevue, WA and virtual