A total of 40 nonprofits have partnered up for a Giving Tuesday event never seen before in the area. Created by United Way of the Ohio Valley, the event will allow the community to support regional nonprofit organizations via social media, online, mail and phone.
Giving Tuesday is a national day of generosity that will take place on Dec. 1 from 12 a.m.-11:59 p.m. Already, more than $2,000 has been raised locally through these efforts.
Doug Eberhart, United Way of the Ohio Valley executive vice president, said his staff recognized that nonprofits would need a helping hand this year with restrictions related to COVID-19 causing a number of events and fundraisers to be cancelled.
“We purchased computer software that gives the community a text-to-give option,” he said.
Individuals can text JOIN2020 to 41444 or become an ambassador for their nonprofit of choice by texting JOIN2020 to 71777 and clicking “Become a Fundraiser.” Those wishing to give back can also do so online through United Way’s website.
Eberhart said ambassadors can set up teams to donate and post via their social media accounts to encourage others to give. Most nonprofits have developed teams already with their own unique identifier.
Every bit of the proceeds will go directly to the nonprofits, and United Way of the Ohio Valley will not be charging fees, Eberhart added. Even more, United Way will be offering $6,000 in matching gifts to nonprofits on Giving Tuesday.
“This is not just for nonprofits affiliated with [the Department of] Health & Human Services. This represents all of them. We’re the first in the region to do this,” Eberhart said. “We’re very thankful to the 40 nonprofits who chose to participate and help us with this. Every dollar matters.”
The participating organizations are:
- ARC of Owensboro
- Boulware Mission
- Building Stronger Families
- Cliff Hagan Boys & Girls Club
- CrossRoads Inc.
- Daniel Pitino Shelter
- Dream Riders
- Foster Grandparent — AACS
- Fresh Start for Women
- Friends of Sinners
- Girls Inc.
- God’s House of Hope Food Pantry
- Green River Asset Building Coalition
- Habitat for Humanity — Union County
- Hancock County Senior Services
- Happy Feet Equals Learning Feet
- Happy Pack
- Head Start — Audubon Area Community Services
- H.L. Neblett Community Center
- Hospice of Western Kentucky
- Junior Achievement
- Lighthouse Recovery Services
- Nature to Nurture Wildlife Rehabilitation Center
- New Beginnings
- Ohio County Food Pantry
- Ohio County 4-H
- Owensboro Area Museum
- Owensboro Family YMCA
- Owensboro Regional Recovery
- Retired and Senior Volunteer Program — AACS Salvation Army
- Senior Community Center of Owensboro-Daviess County
- Senior Companion Program — AACS Senior Center — McLean County
- St. Joseph Peace Mission for Children
- United Way of Henderson
- United Way of the Coalfields
- United Way of the Ohio Valley
- Western Kentucky Botanical Gardens