There are a record 14 nominees for the Girls Inc. ATHENA Award, which is presented annually to someone who empowers women, strives to better the community and has achieved excellence in their profession. The award luncheon returns as an in-person event this year and is scheduled for 11:30 a.m. March 24 at the Owensboro Convention Center.
The event will also feature the Legacy Award, which honors a woman posthumously for the contributions she made to society.
“Nominations were solicited from the community, and completed award applications were forwarded outside the Owensboro area to determine the ATHENA recipient,” said executive director Tish Osborne. “This year, we have a record number of completed packets from 14 nominees boasting a wide array of backgrounds, experiences, and community contributions.”
The 2022 nominees are:
- Becky Barnhart, Senior Community Center of Owensboro-Daviess County
- Marcia Kuegel Carpenter, Owensboro Innovation Academy, retired
- Suzanne Cecil White, Cecil Farms/White Chateau
- Suzanne Craig, Green River District Health Dept.
- Paula F. Dehn, Kentucky Wesleyan College, retired
- Cindy Hudson, Mary Kay Cosmetics
- Taunya Marie Iverson, Cromwell Media Owensboro
- JoAnn Masters, Kenergy, retired
- Amanda Owen, Puzzle Pieces
- Dr. Wanda Figueroa Peralta, RiverValley Behavioral Health
- Janet Rowland, DMD, Rowland Family Dentistry
- Phyllis Siddon, Feel the Love Home Health Care Agency
- Karla Ward, New Beginnings Sexual Assault Support Services
- Helen Wright Cornell, Owensboro Grain Holding Co.
“Coming off a year in which our award program was virtual, we are both thrilled and grateful to see the level of interest shown by the community in highlighting the achievements of women,” Osborne said. “Each woman has a remarkable story that has positively impacted this community and women.”
The luncheon also serves as a fundraiser for Girls Inc. through tickets sales and sponsorships. German American Bank and Southern Star Central Gas Pipeline are the presenting sponsors for the event. Tickets are $75 per person or $600 for a table of eight and can be reserved by calling 270-684-7833 or by going online here.