The Daviess County Emergency Management Agency has issued a White Flag event for Saturday and Sunday nights, with the forecast calling for overnight wind chill likely to be at or below 15°F.
The Daniel Pitino (501 Walnut St.) and St. Benedict’s (1001 W 7th St.) homeless shelters may not currently be at capacity. If capacity is exceeded during this impending cold weather event, Owensboro Christian Church will be open as a warming center, offering bedding from 6:30 p.m. Sunday to 8 a.m. Monday.
If a warming center is required, the following transportation options are available:
- Saturday or Sunday: a van will pick up those seeking shelter from Daniel Pitino Shelter and transport them to Owensboro Christian Church (Saturday: 5:45 P.M, Sunday: 6:15 P.M.)
- Self-transport to the warming shelter anytime 6:30 P.M. to 10:00 P.M. White Flag nights. The White Flag shelter entrance will be between OCC entrances “C” and “D” on the New Hartford Rd side.
Families, women and/or children should contact the Daniel Pitino Shelter (270-688-9000) and men should contact St. Benedict’s (270 541-1003) to inquire if the warming center is in operation, or if there are available bed spaces within one of the existing shelters.
The Daniel Pitino Shelter will also be offering to-go meals:
- Breakfast — 8 a.m. (White Flag days only)
- Lunch — 11 a.m. Mon.-Sat.; 2 p.m. Sun.
- Dinner — 5:30 p.m. Mon.-Sat.; 6 p.m. Sun.
Due to COVID-19, all protective measures (social distancing, masks, handwashing, quarantine) will be strictly enforced. There is an area pre-designated for quarantine if required.