“Yesterday in Sports” brings you the highlights from sports in Owensboro and Daviess County.
Teams in action:
Girls soccer — Owensboro Catholic vs. Owensboro; Daviess County vs. Apollo
Boys soccer — Apollo, Daviess County, Owensboro
Volleyball — Apollo vs. Owensboro
Cross Country — Elementary schools
Lady Aces close out district undefeated
Owensboro Catholic (9-2-1, 6-0 District 9) used a true team effort in a shutout over Owensboro (5-6, 1-5) to finish district play without a loss. After a 3-0 halftime lead, the Lady Aces scored seven goals to end the game with 5 minutes remaining.
Scoring for OCHS were Lily Moore (3), Emma Eyre (2), Gena Jones, Natalie Goodwin, Kara Morris, Kaylee Morris and Whitnee Rice. Assists came from Izzy Stanfield (2), Aliyah Berry, Ashton Logsdon, Moore and Jones. Megan Goodwin recorded the shutout.
The Lady Aces are off until Saturday, when they compete in the All “A” State Tournament. They face Bethlehem at 11 a.m. at Capital View Park in Frankfort. A win would advance them to the semifinal at 6 p.m. Saturday, and the championship game is at 11 a.m. Sunday.
Owensboro is off until they host Evansville Christian School at 6 p.m. Monday.
Lady Panthers earn shutout at Apollo
Daviess County (6-4-2, 4-2 District 9) rolled to a 10-0 win over Apollo in the final district game of the season. Meredith Campbell led the team in scoring with a hat trick.
Also scoring for the Lady Panthers were Kenlee Newcom (2), Chloe Hinchcliffe (2), Elizabeth Collier, Ashlyn Payton and Avery McNeily. Earning assists were Hinchcliffe (3), Bobbi Sandifer (2), Sophie Jagoe (2), Payton and Campbell. Emma Patterson had two saves.
The Lady Panthers play again at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday when they host Greenwood. They E-Gals return to action at 6 p.m. Thursday with a home game against Madisonville-North Hopkins.
Panthers get shutout at home
Daviess County (14-1-1) used a pair of goals from Brian Winkler to get a home victory over Madisonville-North Hopkins. Declan Sandifer had the other score, while Jacob Boling had two assists and Max Miller had one.
Kaya Suzer and Lennart Merkel had the combined shutout in goal. The Panthers will now host Apollo in the final district match of the season Thursday.
Apollo ties at Ohio County
The Eagles (6-6-3) played to a 1-1 draw on the road at Ohio County. Jaelin Kirk scored the lone goal in the first half with an assist from Wes Knott. John Zuberer had six saves in goal, and Matt Marks had four.
Apollo makes a short trip across town Thursday to play Daviess County in the final district match of the season.
Owensboro routs South Spencer
The Red Devils (9-3-1) traveled across the border to bring home an 11-0 win over South Spencer. Paxton Jenkins and Austin Sovar led the team with four goals each, and Andrew Saltsman contributed four assists.
Also scoring for OHS was Saltsman, Fermin Mosqueda and Hser Thaw. Jenkins added one assist, while Grayson McFarland had two, and Ryan Black and Zane West each finished with one.
Radley Worth had two saves in the shutout. The Devils will host Owensboro Catholic in the final district match of the season Thursday.
Apollo gets home sweep over Owensboro
The E-Gals (17-4, 5-0 District 9) closed rolled through Owensboro (4-20, 0-5) for a 3-0 (25-7, 25-12, 25-19) victory.
Leading Apollo were Carlee Widmer (16 assists, 4 kills), Jenna McMillen (9 kills), Natalie Ewing (6 kills), Taylor Blair (5 kills) and Hallie Wilson (8 digs). The Lady Devils were led by Krystell Pappas (10 assists, 5 kills, 5 digs), Jersie Rhineburger (4 kills, 4 digs), Mykael Winstead (4 kills, 3 digs) and Kennedy Thompson (3 digs, 2 assists).
The E-Gals return to action at 7 p.m. Thursday against Meade County. Owensboro hosts Owensboro Catholic at 7 p.m. Tuesday in the final district match of the season.
Elementary cross country results, Race 3 of 4
Girls K-2 Top Ten Finishers
1. Anna Kate King, HES, 4:54.69
2. Rachel Rhodes, Heritage, 5:19.81
3. Ryley Adams, HES, 5:22.75
4. Lily Kurz, WES, 5:41.37
5. Myka Waldron, HES, 5:41.81
6. Grace “Mariah” Carter, EVES, 5:53.12
7. Peyton Gruman, HES, 5:57.33
8. Mayme Stracener, Homeschool, 6:02.32
9. Allie Kahle, MLES, 6:06.91
10. Mary Grace Thomas, Owensboro Catholic, 6:10.22
Boys K-2 Top Ten Finishers
1. Cole Edds, MLES, 5:07.29
2. Carter DeArmond, HES, 5:20.12
3. Braxton Bishop, HES, 5:21.00
4. Carter Brown, EVES,5:24.52
5. Henry Cain, Owensboro Catholic, 5:28.46
6. Jack Haines, Owensboro Catholic, 5:28.89
7. Colton Bivins, Deer Park, 5:30.19
8. Preston Lodzik, Maximillian Montessori Academy, 5:30.52
9. Eli Mann, MLES, 5:30.73
10. Josiah Cobb, Homeschool, 5:34.12
Girls 3-5 Top Ten Finishers
1. Bentlei Stallings, EVES, 4:21.48
2. Alexis Jones, CHES, 4:35.52
3. Charlotte Waldron, HES, 4:38.87
4. Katherine Tillman, CHES, 4:41.22
5. Ellie Girten, HES, 4:46.76
6. Makenzie Ross, Homeschool, 4:49.95
7. Dakota McCaslin, CHES, 4:53.86
8. Hazel Jacobs, Homeschool, 5:10.29
9. Eliza Jacobs, Homeschool, 5:15.90
10. Sophie Cobb, MLES, 5:16.96
Boys 3-5 Top Ten Finishers
1. Camryn Edge, MLES, 4:15.43
2. Graham Robinson, Deer Park, 4:22.68
3. Trent Coomes, MLES, 4:24.27
4. Colby Jackson, HES, 4:41.22
5. John William Wathen, Owensboro Catholic, 4:34.69
6. Jonah Murphy, CHES, 4:49.68
7. Lucca Neves, HES, 4:51.87
8. Jack Labhart, HES, 4:55.19
9. LT Varble, EVES, 4:55.90
10. Nate Blue, CHES, 4:56.64