Motorists advised to use caution traveling this afternoon and into the evening
The Kentucky Transportation Cabinet (KYTC) District 2 office advises motorists to be aware of the potential for slick spots this afternoon, especially on bridges and overpasses. KYTC crews treated routes yesterday and continue the effort this morning.
Black ice can form on previously treated areas. Bridges, overpasses, and ramps typically freeze before surface-level roadways. Low temperatures can create black ice on wet pavement.
District 2 includes: Caldwell, Christian, Daviess, Hancock, Henderson, Hopkins, McLean, Muhlenberg, Ohio, Webster, and Union. The 11 counties in District 2 are assessed individually based on terrain and temperatures. Personnel are prepared to plow and treat routes as deemed necessary.
Weather information stations across Kentucky provide data to the Transportation Operations Center in Frankfort. The TOC is staffed 24 hours per day, and distributes information to the twelve highway districts across the state.
Plan your route during winter weather:
- access links, and apps for the latest traffic and travel information
- check weather reports, and adjust your starting time
- let others know when to expect you
Tips for driving safely from NHTSA:
Forecast from the National Weather Service:
Information about KYTC snow & ice removal efforts:
Keep up with the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet:
Navigate traffic with GoKY or via Waze on your smartphone!
You are an important part! Safe travel begins with YOU!
The following measures will help keep motorists safe and prepared:
- Put yourself in emergency mode
- Pay attention to weather advisories. Weather will impact your commute on some level
- Travel only as necessary during major snow events. It’s better to be stuck at home than to be stuck on the road
- Maintain a safe distance from snowplows and other heavy highway equipment
- Do not pass snowplows on the shoulder
- Allow time for a slower commute
- Winterize vehicles
- Supply vehicles with blankets, flash light and an emergency supply kit
- Know before you go. Visit ky.gov and download the free Waze app to check traffic conditions before you travel
- Eliminate distractions (e.g. operating phone and eating) while driving
- Cooperate with the expectations of the Quick Clearance law, which requires drivers to move vehicles to the shoulder in the event of a non-injury crash