As Halloween approaches, it’s only fitting to talk about ghosts, ghouls, and goblins. However, a concept foreign to many is that of ghost kitchens.
A ghost kitchen, better described as a virtual kitchen, is when a brand utilizes the kitchen at a popular restaurant to craft food for consumption through third-party delivery apps. So while the term ghost kitchen might incite thoughts of abandoned or haunted houses, think of them more as a restaurant that’s completely alienated from the public.
In some instances, national brands are taking specialized items on their menu and using the ghost kitchen concept to market the items in a different light.
As evidenced by a quick scroll through Door Dash, Uber Eats, Grubhub, or Big O Takeout, ghost kitchens are gaining popularity in Owensboro. Leaders in the restaurant industry say it’s an excellent opportunity to grow revenues and profits by simply sharing the food prep space.
For those craving something different during the Halloween season, the Owensboro Times generated a list of ghost kitchens in the area. (This may not be a complete list as they options are ever-evolving.)
- Mandrinos – Mandrinos operates out of O’Charley’s kitchen and specializes in pasta, sandwiches, salads, and desserts.
- The Burger Den – The Burger Den operates out of Denny’s kitchen and specializes in gourmet burgers, chicken burgers, beyond burgers, milkshakes, and cheesecakes.
- The Pancake Kitchen – The Pancake Kitchen abides by its name but operates out of Cracker Barrell, offering an assortment of pancake options, apples, bacon, sausage, and crafted coffee and espresso drinks.
- Coop and Run – Operated out of O’Charleys, Coop and Run features tenders, tots, fries, and build-your-own burger options, and more.
- Bird Dawgs – Bird Dawgs offers chicken sandwiches in the form of a hotdog with a wide array of flavor options. Operating out of Buffalo Wild Wings, they also offer buffalo chicken wraps and desserts.
- Wild Burger – Also stationed in Buffalo Wild Wings, Wild Burger’s menu features burgers, tots, wedges, fries, fried pickles, and chocolate fudge cake.
- Super Mega Dilla – Offering an assortment of quesadilla options, Super Mega Dilla calls the IHOP kitchen home.
- Thrilled Cheese – Thrilled Cheese crafts countless grilled cheese options, loaded with bacon, ham, pepperoni, mushrooms, pulled pork, and more. They operate out of Kroger and also offer fries and cheese sticks.
- Macks and Stacks – Macks and Stacks use McDonald’s kitchens to produce different mac ‘n’ cheese options, wings, and a buffalo chicken sandwich.
- Wingville – Wingville specializes in wings, operating out of Fazolis.