UPDATE – Dec. 4
Battalion Chief Steve Leonard has released that the cause of the fire on Westwood Avenue was failure of holiday lighting in the kitchen area of the modular home.
According to the Owensboro Fire Department, at 6:08 p.m., OFD, OPD and Yellow EMS were dispatched to a structure fire in the 2500 block of Westwood Avenue.
The units arrived to find a working fire in a modular home.
A primary search found no occupants. The residents arrived later. There was a dog in the residence that was rescued unharmed.
The fire extended through the rear of the residence into the kitchen and roof area. A coordinated attack extinguished the fire in the home and attic space. There was moderate to severe damage done to the residence.
The Red Cross has been notified to assist the residents.
“The fire will be under investigation at this point,” said Battalion Chief Steve Leonard. “We don’t expect anything suspicious.”