Owensboro won’t be hosting the annual International Bar-B-Q Festival this year, but there will still be at least some commemoration of the event on Saturday.
Ole South Bar-B-Q is partnering with the festival committee to give away a limited amount of mutton sandwiches during a drive-thru event.
Director of Public Events Tim Ross said the festival committee reached out to City officials and said though the Bar-B-Q Fest had been cancelled, they wanted to offer something for the community.
“It’s set up like a drive-thru and everyone will remain in their vehicles,” Ross said. “Mutton sandwiches and bags of chips will be served on a first-come, first-served basis.”
The event will start at 11 a.m. and the line will begin on Daviess Street in front of the RiverPark Center. Signage will be posted downtown providing directions, Ross said.
Participants driving through can get one sandwich and one bag of chips for each person in their vehicle.
Ross said Ole South Bar-B-Q volunteered to give away sandwiches to show appreciation for the community it serves.
“And the festival committee understands that it’s really been a challenging time for the community to go through,” he said.
International Bar-B-Q Festival t-shirts will also be sold for $5. This year’s shirt will have a “Cancelled” graphic stamped onto the back to emphasize the historic relevance of cancelling the event for the first time in its 41-year history.
The Owensboro Health coronavirus hotline is available 24/7 by calling 877-888-6647. Call the hotline before seeking in-person care. More information from OH can be found here.
For the latest information and data on COVID-19 in Kentucky visit kycovid19.ky.gov or dial the Kentucky state hotline at 800-722-5725.
For the latest health guidelines and resources from the CDC, visit their website here.