Gov. Andy Beshear recommended Monday that all Kentucky schools postpone in-person learning until Sept. 28.
Last week, the Kentucky Education Association asked Beshear not to start school until the COVID-19 cases decrease.
Prior to the announcement, local schools had announced either full in-person or hybrid learning plans as follows:
- Owensboro Public Schools were set to start Aug. 24 with the hybrid plan.
- Daviess County Public Schools were set to start Aug. 26 with the hybrid plan.
- Owensboro Catholic Schools were set to resume with five-day in-person learning Aug. 26.
Beshear said he doesn’t want schools to be open for a few days or a week then have to close.
“In my very core, I want us to get back to in-person instruction,” he said.
Schools shut down to in-person learning in March.
OPS spokesperson Jared Revlett said they’re not surprised by Beshear’s recommendation.
“The governor’s announcement today wasn’t completely unexpected,” Revlett said. “We have anticipated him making an announcement like this and are prepared to make the necessary changes. We will communicate with our district leadership on how to implement the backup plan and will share that information with our families hopefully tomorrow.”
Keith Osborne, Chief Administrative Officer at OCS, said they have not made a decision and that they need some time to review and discuss a plan.
Owensboro Times has reached out to DCPS and Trinity High School and is awaiting a response.
This story will be updated as more information becomes available.